Wednesday, April 22, 2015

AQB Exchange.

A little background info: Some of you may know that I am studying here at Al-Quds University, which is sort of true. More specifically though, I am a student at a smaller college within the main university called Al-Quds Bard (or AQB for short), which is a partnership between Al-Quds University in Palestine and Bard College in upstate New York. There are a few hundred Palestinian students enrolled here, earning a dual degree from both institutions. In contrast to the main university, the classes at AQB are taught almost entirely in English with a strong focus on writing and critical thinking. Apart from my two Arabic classes [one focused on FusHa or classical Arabic, and one on the local Palestinian dialect], I am taking three amazing human rights courses taught by some of the most critically-minded, inspiring professors I have ever met. The class titles are Politics of Human Rights, Women and Minorities Rights, and Human Rights after 9/11. Someday I am going to get really nerdy and summarize the arguments of these courses on this blog of mine, so you can look forward to that :)

Anyways, just one of the great aspects of Al-Quds Bard is the exchange program that they host between American and Palestinian students. Each semester, a few students from AQB travel across the world to study at Bard New York, and a few students from various American institutions get the chance to immerse themselves in life at a Palestinian University in the West Bank. Overall, I have found the opportunity to participate in this program be an incredible experience of academic challenge, personal growth, and shifting views on this place and the world beyond it. I have been stretched in ways I didn't anticipate, introduced to ideas I didn't expect, and changed in ways I couldn't have planned. My time here hasn't always been easy, but I feel that what I have learned has been more than worth it--and that it will continue to shape me for many years to come.

If you are reading this blog, you are probably aware that I have been trying my best to chronicle at least some of these experiences and lessons learned [or more typically, questions asked] through this medium. However, my perspective has its limits, and there are many other important points of view that I wish you could hear. That is why I have decided to present something new and a little different in today's post. Recently, I came across an article written by a classmate and friend of mine in regards to her similar experience of studying abroad, but flipped in terms of identity and locations [from AQB to the US]. I thought it would be interesting to highlight her contrasting, yet complementing, perspective. Personally, I gleaned a lot from her thought-provoking words and would love for you all to read what she has to say! So without further ado, I am excited to introduce you to the writing of the wonderful Yara Afandi:

 
This part especially resonated with me: "You will look at things from a very different perspective. This might lead to culture shock, a mild depression, and a certain level of frustration; trust me I’ve been there. But it will forever erase what ordinary is."
 
And this part inspired me: "Moving forward is the only weapon Palestinians have. Educational, rational, and social change will enable refugee camps to be less shattered and more ready than ever before to face occupation and advance to freedom – the freedom of both country and mind."
 
Thanks, Yara, for allowing me to share your influential thoughts, and for writing so honestly about your experience. I am grateful to know you!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment