Friday, February 6, 2015

Introduction to Israel.

This weekend is the first instance that I am spending any significant amount of time in Israel. I am here now to attend a two-day meeting with an organization that I am interested in working with (more on this later). The meeting is taking place in a small village called Nes Ammim, basically in the middle of nowhere in northern Israel. I took about 15 different forms of transportation to get here (this is only a slight exaggeration). Thankfully, all went [mostly] smoothly--thanks to hours of thorough research done ahead of time, much of which consisted of just barely getting information that I really needed (but didn't know I needed until I got it). For example, I learned that almost all public transportation in Israel shuts down mid-day Friday and all day Saturday due to the Shabbat (the Jewish sabbath/ holy day). Also, the East Jerusalem Central Bus Station is not the same as the Jerusalem Central Bus Station located about a $10 taxi ride away. These would be some important things to know...

Anyways, moving past the "fun" adventure of public transportation in foreign places, my time in Israel so far has held quite a bit to take in. Honestly, it's been a bit jarring at times, as I wasn't prepared to experience such culture shock. I was surprised by what a difference emerged crossing over from Palestine to Israel, despite the spatial proximity of these two places. In some ways I immediately felt more like I fit in, as there are far more Western people and conveniences here (in fact, driving along the tree-lined, multiple-lane highway, I almost thought I was back in America for a moment). However, simultaneously I felt somehow less at home, perhaps because I am much more familiar and comfortable with Arab culture (also I don't understand any Hebrew, so that could be a contributing factor). What a strange paradox to experience. 

Before making my way to Nes Ammim, I spent the day & night in Haifa (through a connection with a friend of a friend--thanks Lydia). I took the opportunity to do some solo sightseeing, with my trusted companion, the "Lonely Planet" guide book to Israel and Palestine (thanks again Lydia!) There is a convenient (free?) bus system that runs all throughout the city. I'm really not sure about the free part, but I couldn't figure out where to pay, so I may or may not have stolen bus rides all around Haifa yesterday. 

My favorite place by far was the top of Mount Carmel overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. I took a "sky lift" sort of thing up the mountain (add that to my list of modes of transportation), and was met by one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen. Seriously it was gorgeous--especially at sunset. 



Some other observations from my first day in Israel: 

--This place seems to be incredible diverse. I noticed quite a few Ethiopians on the train, walked through an historic German colony near downtown Haifa, viewed the beautiful gardens and monuments sacred to the Baha'i faith, and ate dinner at a Romanian restaurant. It is interesting to think about the varying reasons that each of these groups are drawn here.

--There are young Israeli soldiers in uniform all over, very mixed in with the civilian population. Also there are some dressed in civilian clothing carrying weapons as well. Frankly, it is quite shocking to see a young woman around my age texting while waiting for the bus with a machine gun in her lap. 

--I'm not sure how accurate this is, but there seems to be more outward displays of religious devotion within Israel (people reading the Torah on the bus, carrying prayer shawls, wearing traditional dress and hairstyles). Of course, there are plenty of more secular Jews as well. Also, my perception could be a bit slanted considering signs of devotion to Christianity or Islam are more familiar to me, and thus less noticeable. 

--Lastly, I was struck by how easy it is to forget about (or be unaware of) what is going on in Palestine while here. I mean, there is the reminder of the aforementioned military presence, but in general I feel that it's easy to be disconnected. This is similar to how easy it is not to be cogniscent of poverty while living in relative wealth in America.

Where I am now--you have no idea how happy I was to see this sign



No comments:

Post a Comment